Thursday, July 16, 2009

the best burger in Columbus?...Northstar Cafe

Betty and I met up with some friends at one of our favorite restaurants in Columbus good old Northstar Cafe the one located near Clintonville. Ever since the Rose and Thistle shut down about 5 years ago -- the Northstar Burger has become what I believe to be the best burger in Columbus.


the Northstar burger...aka the best burger in Columbus?

Okay...so best burger might be pushing it because of 2 caveats:
  1. the Northstar burger is a veggie burger
  2. it costs an arm and a leg at $11.50
Those aside -- nothing's messing with the flavor. Their menu describes the ingredients that go in the veggie burger: "...organic brown rice, black beans and beets topped with white cheddar, lettuce, tomato, pickle & onion + simple salad..." Who knew that such a simple burger with beets could pack such a delicious, fresh, hearty, yummy taste? Betty and I split the burger and decided to try their ever so hyped guacamole.


Northstar guacamole aka not the best guac in columbus

Now I've read some great reviews of the guac from Northstar -- it is the same guac they have at their sister shop called 3rd and Hollywood. Furthermore -- when I placed my order the lady who rung up my order said I would not be disappointed and that it was the best guacamole ever. I told her that was a bold claim and that I've had a fair share of amazing guacamoles and NONE of them have been served at restaurants. With that being said on to the guac. The plating looks nice but I think they forgot to give me a couple of scoops considering it costs $9.50 for their guac. Betty and I tried the guac and it tasted pretty good. A little light on the salt but very fresh and pretty tasty. Just pretty tasty but definitely not the best guac I've ever had and come on now...$9.50 for guac. You're prolly thinking I'm a crazy bear since I'm spending $11.50 for a veggie burger no complaints but then whining about the guac...oh well. Betty said that it's the best guac she's had out at a restaurant but not the best tasting guac ever and I concur. I love the Northstar burger. I seldomly get anything else from there. I grew up eating a number of veggie burger vendors and providers and this burger not only tastes yummy but perhaps makes me nostalgic of some great days as a kid -- but is it the best burger in Columbus? I think it is having tried a number of places including Thurman, Barleys, Club 185 and Old Bag of Nails to name a few -- but if you disagree or know a burger that you think competes with the Northstar Cafe burger -- tell me about it cause I'm game. As for the guac - save your $9.50 for a chocolate truffle cookie cause I can't rationalize the cost.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am rethinking my comment about the guac. It is the best restaurant guacamole I've had in Columbus, but I had better at several places in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete