Saturday, August 1, 2009

To buy or to brown bag? Pizza Day at the Rossi Junior High...The Rossi

Betty and I met up with a friend at the Rossi for happy hour. I was curious to try their pizza after reading some good things about it in the Columbus blogosphere. I'm a big fan of NYC pizza and have a bad habit of comparing most thin pizzas to that genre of pizza. What I read about the Rossi was that it was pretty good and ultra thin so I was ready to investigate the claims. When we arrived at the Rossi I was all business and was ready to try their simple ultra thin cheese pizza. When it arrived it looked pretty promising:


I think of crucial NYC pizza as having 3 things:
  1. ultra thin crust with carbon burn marks
  2. simple and sweet tasting tomato sauce
  3. and cheese that's greasy and blends the sauce into the crust for one yummy fusion of a taste.
I used these 3 guidelines to compare and rate the Rossi. As for the crust -- this is the thinnest crust I've ever seen on a pizza NYC included. It was pretty tasty but was simple and a bit undercooked for my tastes. The cheese was ample and pretty good. No excessive layers of grease deposits as most NYC pizzas possess -- but I'm a pizza blotter anyways. The sauce was the low point for me. I found the sauce to be more of a tart tomato pasty style sauce then I usually go for and so as I ate the pizza -- which don't get me wrong -- I still devoured -- I didn't quite have that fusion of crust, cheese and sauce that I drool about when I dream of say John's Pizzeria. Betty claimed that I really liked the pizza regardless of what I'm writing above. All in all the pizza was pretty good but not in the revered category that I cherish my favorites that include Adriaticos, Flying Pizza, Hound Dogs, Surly Girl and Grandads. I do think I owe the place one more try to pursue a toppings pizza since I failed to do so on this past trip -- so I think happily the verdict is still out on the Rossi's Pizza - until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Umberto, I know you've had some tasty food since August 1st. I want updates!

    ReplyDelete