Monday, August 3, 2009

bear in the city day 2: I ♥ John's Pizzeria...

Day 2 of our quick NYC trip found us focused on 2 major goals:
  1. hit up John's Pizzeria our favorite NYC pizza joint.
  2. hit up All Points West for a day full of music
Goal 1 was pretty easy since we've been there 3 times before. We go to the original John's Pizzeria on 278 Bleecker street. When we spotted John's -- Betty and I smiled a huge bear smile and realized we were only moments away from enjoying one of our favorite dining experiences of all time. John's is a dive but it feels like home to us. We ordered a simple plain cheese pizza and reminisced about our previous visits there while we waited in anticipation for the pie.

  • When my sister and I first went to NYC we researched the city's best pizza and John's seemed to be the place to try. We stumbled upon John's by accident without even knowing where it was. We had walked all over the city and were hungry and dehydrated and out of nowhere John's Pizzeria showed up on the horizon, a welcome Oasis to re-energize our stomachs and spirits.
  • After our fond memories of our previous venture to John's -- Betty and I trekked there for my second visit to NYC and we met up with a dear friend to catch up. The pizza again was the showcase for a memory filled visit.
  • My third trip was for my bachelor party with my boys and though my compatriots struggled with my marathon walking expedition of the city as the precursor to the evening -- they welcomed John and a number of pitchers of beer into their stomachs and heart.
  • ...and now 2 years of marriage later -- Betty and I were ready to feast on our prized pie.


simple, plain, delicious cheese pie. John's Pizzeria.

No disappointment here -- as yums-in-my-tums as I remembered so fondly-- except that we didn't order a pie to go. Again reiterating my post from our Boston trip -- good pizza = thin crust, tangy simple sweet tomato sauce, greasy cheese all baked in a brick oven with coal -- baked until slightly blackened with carbon goodness. I ♥John's Pizzeria. I had a list of other pizza joints to check out but time did not allow us to explore. Next time we're there we'll have to try Grimaldi's, Arturos, and Artichokes. Any other NYC pizza joints you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment