Monday, August 3, 2009

bear in the city day 2 continued: Mexican Haven From the Rain - La Herradura Inc.

so we got to see the Fleet Foxes, the National, Organized Konfusion and a bit of the Pharcyde before the rain got the best of us. Betty and I decided it'd be better to take our soaked furry selves back to my cousin's place to dry off and warm up. I'm glad we did because instead of eating festival food I had one of the best tasting Mexican meals of my bear existence. My cousin took us to La Herradura Inc. On the way there I was surprised that we passed at least 3 other Mexican restaurants. Betty and I were both hungry when we entered the restaurant and when I saw my green El Yucateco I couldn't help but feel we were going to be in for a treat. My cousin asked for their hot salsa -- and for the record -- this was the first time that I actually disliked a hot salsa. It had a good heat -- but had a strange creamy-spinachy texture that didn't sit well with my tastebuds...I did keep eating it though because it was unlike any hot salsa I'd ever tasted.


chips, salsa, strange hot sauce, El Yucateco de Magico

For my meal I ordered an a la carte pastor taco and the carnitas huarache. When the taco came out I knew I was going to be in for a treat.


very tasty pastor taco

This taco was large and in charge. Everything about this taco was twice as nice as anything I've had in Oh. The pork, pineapple, onions and cilantro were present in mass quantities and man oh man did it taste good. All this for only $2.50...what's messing with this? See what came out next:


incredible Mexican carnitas huarache

The huarache came out on a narrow fried masa bread that was very similar to pita bread. This was accompanied with a layer of refried beans, marinated pork, lettuce, cheese, avocados and sour cream. The flavors were so tasty together meat and bean with the freshness of the lettuce and avocados. I was ready to come back to this place for breakfast the next day. I even tried their horchata that was very tasty and my only my second time trying it ever.

I was slightly disappointed that we got rained out for All Points West but I think it was a blessing in disguise as Betty and I got to spend more time with my cousin and venture out and try this truly delicious restaurant located at 563 Main St in New Rochelle NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment